Technical/Software Support Staff
This role is needed for ongoing support of health IT that has been deployed in office practices, hospitals, health centers, long-term care facilities, health information exchange organizations, and state and local public health agencies. Preparation for this role will typically require six months of intense training for individuals with appropriate backgrounds.
Workers in this role support, on an ongoing basis, the technology deployed in clinical and public health settings. They maintain systems in clinical and public health settings, including patching and upgrading of software. They also provide one-on-one support, in a traditional “help desk” model, to individual users with questions or problems.
Individuals training for this role will have a general background in information technology or health information management.
Workers in this role will be able to:
- Interact with end users to diagnose IT problems and implement solutions.
- Document IT problems and evaluate the effectiveness of problem resolution.
- Support systems security and standards.
- Assist end users with the execution of audits and related privacy and security functions.
- Incorporate usability principles into ongoing software configuration and implementation.
- Ensure that the hardware/software “fail-over” and related capabilities are appropriately implemented to minimize system downtime.
- Ensure that privacy and security functions are appropriately configured and activated in hardware and software.
- Interact with the vendors as needed to rectify technical problems that occur during the deployment process.
- Work with the vendor and other sources of information to find the solution to a user’s question or problem as needed.